Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Keeping vigil in Tündérgyár


A friend of mine has been trying to convert my from the hardcore and metal path to the black and death metal side for a long time now. I did not pay much attention to him, but he insisted that I go with him to a concert, and I had no other option than to cooperate. I knew nothing of the band whose concert we were going to attend, nor did I know about the place itself, so I thought I could make use of my friend’s request. One the 6th of May we visited the pub Tündérgyár and listened to the concert of the Virrasztók.

I’ve already told this in the previous blog entry; rock pubs are generally positioned in the town so that they can be easily found and approached. This is the case with Tündérgyár as well, although I had a little problem finding it. The pub is located in Tűzoltó Street; it doesn’t matter whether you alight from tram 6 at Mester Street or Ferenc Boulevard, it takes five minutes to walk to the place from either tram station. The exact address of the place is misleading, however. Tűzoltó Street 22, although it appears on the map, does not exist in actuality. I know this sounds strange, but I have been following the street numbers on the walls and strangely enough 21 was followed by 23/a. This revelation kinda threw me off, and when I started to walk back the street I realized that I passed Tündérgyár long ago.

After miraculously finding the place, I headed inside and paid the entry fee, which was 1 000 HUF. I got a fancy armband, which I was told to show the bartender if I wanted to drink 500 forints out of the entry fee, and that I did. They’ve run out of alcohol free beer, nor was there any kind of light pop; so I had to make a decision: alcohol or sugar. I thought that the insulin I gave myself not long before would be able to handle the stuff, so I went for a normal cola. It cost 100/dl, so I utilized my armband in exchange of 5dl free coke.

The pub can be divided into three parts: an exterior part they call gyárudvar (mill yard); an interior drinking area, called pince (cellar); and the separate area where the concerts go, called hangár (hangar). The gyárudvar is a nice and large area with many chairs and tables, ideal for enjoying a drink outside with friends. Pince is usually full in winter, but it isn’t really preferred in this season. Hangár is not really large, around 100 people can get in, and the stage inside is also a bit cramped for a six man band. This area can be shot off, and soundproofing works quite well; once the door is closed, those who are not much interested in the concert inside can still have a good conversation in the gyárudvar.

The first band to appear on stage was Virrasztók (vigilants/those who keep vigil), a Hungarian folk metal, and psychedelic band. Most of their songs lyrics revolve around death and this was accompanied by great stage performance; during one of the songs the singer imitated his hanging by making the microphone lop over the microphone stand. The whole performance was highly spiritual, and amazing. After them, Moon and the Nightspirit has taken over the stage. Their musical style differed from that of the Vigilants’ in the sense that they did not play folk metal, but simply: folk. Drum, bass guitar, violin, and acoustic guitar; these were more than enough to turn the stage upside down. Their songs were full of Hungarian derring-do, it was my first time listening to such music; now I encourage everyone to do the same.

Tündérgyár was a place well worth visiting. It is easy to find, take tram 6 if you ever decide to go there. The 100/dl basis seems to be reasonable, prices are moderate. The place is pretty big; everyone can find the place they prefer from the gyárudvar, through the pince, and to the hangár. Last but not least, I recommend checking out A kaszás by the Virrasztók, and Regő Rejtem by The Moon and the Nightspirit; I hope one of the bands is to your liking.

0 comments:

Post a Comment