Monday, May 9, 2011

Dürer kert


I hate those lucky bastards who live in the Ajtósi dormitory. Dürer garden was the next place I visited to review and to attend a concert there, and I just ended up being mad at those fellow students who live only a few buildings away from that great place. The main reason I visited the place was that a friend of mine sent me a link to one of the video clips of the band Idoru. I’ve immediately become hooked on it, and when I saw on the internet that they will have a concert in Dürer there was simply no way that I would just sit home.

I already voiced my distress for not living in Ajtósi Dürer; it is close to the Humanities faculty of ELTE and right next to this rock heaven. Like always, public transportation is the obvious choice to go by; in my case for example, although it was a bit complicated, with the use of tram 49, than M2 metro, and finally tram 1 I got there in an hour from the XI. district. As you will see it on the map, after alighting at Ajtósi Dürer sor station, you just have to walk down the street; the place is impossible to miss.

The club itself is a really authentic place; it is like a ruined building that has been taken over by squatters. It is a “nice” place where a rocker would feel at home. There is an open area where you can sit down having a chat with your friends in the company of a beer, but you can even play ping-pong or pétanque outside. The Wifi connection reaches outside to this terrace area. The interior is divided into a small and a large concert hall; and of course there are multiple bar sections, one right beside the entrance and another inside the large concert hall. Prices, as you can see, fit the budget of a university student, and for some concerts there is the catch that if you arrive before 8 p.m. you can get in for free, another economical thing for students.

Moving on, I should talk about the concert, and the performing bands. Before the main event, 3 bands set up the mood: Nova Prospect, The Sorrow, and Velvet Stab. Although I went to Dürer specifically for the Idoru concert, there was a band that I liked much better: The Sorrow. This metalcore band from Austria managed to hype up the crowd in a way I never thought it would be possible. Pogo, stage diving, these were basic things; however, this was the first time I saw The Wall of Death. The singer of The Sorrow divided the crowd into two, forming “walls” that he later unleashed against each other. It was total chaos, but I loved it. At the end of the night it was finally time for the Idoru concert. The Idoru is a Hungarian band, formed in 2003; who play alternative rock music. Their style also incorporates elements from punk rock and hardcore as well. At this night they were promoting their new album, so we could hear few of their new songs, including “Friends”, which not long ago was made into a video clip.

Dürer Garden is one of the best places a rocker could visit. It is a favorite gathering spot for ELTE students, evident from the closeness to one of the university’s dormitory. It can be easily approached by public transportation; it is well situated in the heart of Budapest. The place is inexpensive; it is geared towards the budget of students. Small and large concert halls provide the opportunity for the visitors to choose from bands, if they are interested in another genre after an hour long death metal cornet they just go over to the other hall. Dürer left a favorable impression on me. What about you?

0 comments:

Post a Comment